Monday, June 20, 2011

The Prayer Mailbox

Every Sunday morning and several times during the week I check a special mailbox that stands right outside the front doors of Colbert United Methodist Church. This mailbox isn't there to collect mail. The evangelism committee erected this mailbox for two important reasons.
1. To collect prayer requests from the community and church members.
2. To redirect cars from cutting through our parking lot when going to the bank. Instead of putting up a barrier (something I am very much against) we put up the mailbox. In my opinion we redeemed the space.
Since we put up the mailbox three months ago, I've yet to open the door and find any prayer requests. That was until Sunday.
On Sunday morning I found the a request that makes this box and its ministry to the community worth all the days it stands empty. On Sunday morning I found a prayer request written by the hand of a child. It read, "My mom."
We do not know this woman's name or who wrote this heartfelt request, but I do know that Colbert UMC prayed and will continue to pray for "My mom."

No comments:

Post a Comment