Wednesday, June 1, 2011

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Almost a year ago I moved into the communities of Colbert and Comer, Georgia. The Bishop appointed me to serve the United Methodist Churches of these two fine towns. In the past year, I have officiated more funerals than I've done in the past six years of ministry. Over the past months I've been pondering the reality of these poetic lines from John Donne:

Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

It is hard to say good bye to so many so soon; however, the promises of the Christian faith tell us that good bye really isn't good bye but see you soon. In the face of death there is still hope. The bell will toll again, not to mark death but to celebrate the victory of a new heaven and new earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment