Monday, June 27, 2011

First Year Lessons

Yesterday (Sunday June 26, 2011) marked the end of my first year as the Pastor-in-Charge of the Colbert-Comer Parish. For the last twelve months I had the sacred privilege and honor of pastoring two special congregations. To be honest I really didn't know how things would work out when this appointment began twelve months ago.
I began my pastoral ministry with a part-time student pastor appointment to Highview UMC in Raywick, Kentucky. Highview met for worship on the second, fourth, and fifth Sundays. I was able to do most of my pastoral care work on those Sundays. It was common for me to come back to Wilmore after a ten to twelve hour Sunday.
After Highview I moved to my first full-time appointment to Smith Chapel UMC in Tunnel Hill, Georgia. Smith Chapel put me on a regular schedule of preaching every week. Office hours became normalized. My pastoral care work was spread across several days.
When I came to Colbert and Comer I didn't know how I was going to work out a balanced, effective, and practical approach to pastoral ministry. I said this when I was appointed and will continue to say it, "Serving a multi-church appointment is a lot like going to the prom with two dates and expecting both dates to leave the dance happy." You might think that is impossible, but I've learned a few lessons that are working so far.
1. Realize that each church is unique. Each church has their own strengths, weakness, growing edges, and needs.
2. Realize you can't be in two places at the same time. Do not double book yourself.
3. Realize you can't nor shouldn't do it all. Invite the laity to partner with you in your pastoral work. After all pastors are charged to equip the laity and inspire the laity to fulfill the call of their baptism.
4. Do your best to keep separate church business separate. Think about the prom metaphor. Would one date want to hear you talking about the other while you are dancing with them?
5. Be flexible. I try to have office days set aside for each church. It is a great way to ensure you are balancing your time with each church. However, emergencies do not follow office hours.
6. Have fun. I am really enjoying my time of ministry with the people of Colbert and Comer. I am doubly blessed. I am doubly grateful.

If you have insights, comments, or suggestions they are certainly welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment