Sunday, January 2, 2011

Three Gifts for the King

Today's sermon tied in with the celebration of Epiphany. I entitled the sermon "Three Gifts for the King." The Wise Men brought three gifts to Jesus. These gifts were gold, frankincense, and myrrh. The early church saw great symbolism in these three gifts. Gold represented the kingly role of Christ. Frankincense represented the priestly role of Christ. Myrrh represented the prophetic role of Christ.
This morning I encouraged my congregations to offer three gifts to Christ in 2011. I did not ask them to bring gold, frankincense, and myrrh but to offer Christ their worship, relationships, and service.
In regards to worship I encouraged the church to be at church. If it is a Sunday morning and they are able to come to church, I want to see their smiling faces. If they are unable to come to church on Sunday or if it is another day of the week, I want them to spend time with God. I encouraged them to sing spiritual songs, pray, read their Bible, or read a devotion.
In regards to relationships I encouraged the church to come to Sunday School or be part of a small group. I also wanted them to invest in the lives of others. I shared some of the following ideas: take your spouse on a date, turn the tv off and eat dinner as a family at the table, and schedule a play date with their kids.
In regards to service I encouraged the church to be a blessing to others. God has given us the gift of life to share with others. Each day we should do at least one good deed.
I believe if we spend more time in worship, relationships, and service in 2011 than we did in 2010 we will notice a great change in our lives. Are you up to the challenge? Will you offer these three gifts to Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment