Thursday, January 6, 2011

Discipleship plans and Cadilacs.

The church's mission is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Lately I've been thinking a lot about our mission. I just finished reading the book Simple Church. I'm also working on my responses for the ordination exam. Between the two discipleship has been on my mind lately.
The other night at a church board meeting we started talking about discipleship and what a disciple looks like and how do we make disciples. The issue brings forth a conversation that takes more than one board meeting to complete. This will be and should be an ongoing dialoge.
My mind got working. I started thinking about cars, pretty cars. In my opinion a classic Cadilac is a thing of beauty. But a Cadilac wasn't always beautiful. It began as scrap metal. The factory transforms the metal into something beautiful. I'm thinking the church is God's factory. The people of the church work the line. We all play a part in changing metal into beauty.
I'm now wondering how effective the factory is working and if we need some retooling?

No comments:

Post a Comment