Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Day I Said Good Bye To My Dog

On Friday morning I slept in.  Friday is my day off so I didn't feel bad waking up at 6 AM and going back to bed.  I wanted to enjoy that nice spring coolness that comes when your bedroom windows are opened to the April morning.  It was really nice to have the dog jump in the bed and cuddle with me.  Really nice.

Then so suddenly the day changed.  In less than an hour I would be saying good bye to my dog Dallas.  How quickly life can change for the two-legged and four-legged alike.

Dallas was pure Beagle.  If he could get loose and chase a scent he would and on Friday morning he did.  He chased freedom until he ran right up to St. Peter at the Pearly Gates.

I am just glad that I was there to tell him good bye.  As a chaplain with the Fire Department there were several times when I was called to help families who stumbled upon a loved one who died alone.  It was rough.  Lord if possible don't let me die alone.  Again, I am just glad I was there to tell Dallas thank you and good bye.

Dallas entered into my life on News Year 2010.  I was deciding what to buy myself for Christmas.  The options that year were a new HD television, a sofa, or a dog.  Because I moving to a new church in June was very likely I opted for a dog.  I had always wanted a dog.  I thought a dog would be a good addition to my lonely life in a rural parsonage.  Little did I know what a blessing my dog would be.

Some people ask how I came across Dallas.  Let me briefly share that story.  When I decided to get a dog, I began taking only questionaries that would help you find the perfect dog breed.  One selector that I used was connected with a local animal shelters.  They really suggested that you recsue a dog.  This selector connected me with the Dalton, Georgia Humane Society.

The Dalton Humane Society had two dogs that were top on my match list.  One dog was a little Jack Russel named J.R.  The other dog was a two year old beagle named Dallas.  I took this as a divine sign, for at that time I was watching my way through the entire television series Dallas.  Of all the dogs there were two with names connected to my favorite tv show at that time. 

When I arrived at the humane society I was told JR, my first choice, had been adopted a few days before.  They suggested I give Dallas a chance.  I remember well our first meeting.  He came up, put his paws on my knees and licked my hand and face.  He liked me.  I gave it a chance and decided to adopt him.

After I had filled out all the adoption papers and paid the adoption fee, I discovered Dallas' story.  He was a true rescue dog.  The Whitfiled County Animal Control had found him walking the streets.  When I told that news to Billy Dycus, trustee at the church I was serving, he said, "Preacher done brought a streetwalker home!"  The Humane Society resuced him from being put down.

Three different families had adopted Dallas, but each family had returned him before the end of a week.  Dallas has escaped from one family and ran off to a local grocery store.  This family gave Dallas away to a man who found him in the parking lot.  The Humane society rescued Dallas from a life limited to being chained on a tree.  He needed a good home. 

As we drove off, I wondered if I would be returning this little beagle by the end of the week.  I gave him a chance and I am glad I did.  They first few months were hard, but I learned and he adjusted.  We had good times together.  A few weeks into ownership Dallas escaped and was hit by a car.  He wasn't severly injured, just bruised.  However, I was always fearful that the next time wouldn't turn out so good.

In June, Dallas and I moved to Madison County, Georgia.  We adapted well to life in Comer and Colbert.  Dallas and I walked to the Post Office and the Bank.  I would often tie him to the Post Office Flag Pole, so I could go inside and get the mail.  He went with me to visit shut-ins.  He really enjoyed visits to the nursing home.  He was a good at pastoral care. 

Dallas was a real escape artist.  He would often get out of his maximum security pen.  I even had three locks on it.  Over the past few months Dallas had earned the privledge of staying inside.  He was doing really well. 

I wish I could have spent many more years with Dallas, but I am grateful for the time we did share.  He was a good dog and a good companion.  I think he even helped me become a better pastor.  My four legged friend taught me much about love, compassion, and patience.  He taught me about responsibility and what it means to have others depend on you.  I am forever grateful for his lessons. 

I am glad I was there when the time came for him to leave this world and go onto the next.  I told him thank you for being a good dog and friend because he was. 

Some people wonder if Dogs go to Heaven.  A lot of people think they do, I am one.  As a pastor I believe and yearn for the day when God will bring a new Heaven and a new Earth.  I believe animals will be part of God's redemptive work.  If you disagree think about this...

In Genesis, we find two creation accounts.  Both stories describe how God deliberately made the animals of the earth.  If animals were a vital part of the first Creation, then why would they not be part of the second or new Creation?

When God decided to flood the earth and start things all over, he commanded Noah to build an Ark and rescue animals from the impending disaster.  If God resuced the animals in the Ark why won't God rescue animals in the new Creation?

The Bible is full of many descriptions of God's love, some of the most common are those of a Shepherd.  Shepherd take care of sheep.  Jesus speaks of God being mindful of birds in the air.  These are just a few examples that tell me that God has a fondness for animals. 

On Friday I said good by to my dog.  I said "Good bye Dallas."  However, deep in my heart I know he waits for me with a lot of other four legged friends and critters in the eternal care of the Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer of all that is seen and unseen.  So really "Good bye" is actually what I told Dallas before I would to work or run errands in town, "I love you Dallas, I will be back home soon.  Be a good boy."

No comments:

Post a Comment