Monday, October 11, 2010

From my bookshelf

I am still continuing the process of unpacking from my move in July. Since my arrival, organizing my pastoral library has been an ongoing task. While putting books on the self this morning, I came across a gem, "Outlines and Illustrations for Preachers and Teachers" by J. Ellis.
I don't know where I got the book. I conducted some brief research online and it appears that this book was written in 1898. It is old, but the following advice is timeless.
Sunday School
Teacher, Qualifications of a Good (Acrostic)
Truthful
Earnest
Affectionate
Cheerful
Homely
Early
Regular

Sermons

Sermons should be short and pointed, as a rule. Nothing can justify a long sermon, says Lamont. If it a good one it need not be long, if a bad one it ought not to be long.

Dr. Thorold's Hints
To be listened to is the first thing, therefore be interesting.
To be understood is the second thing, so be clear.
To be useful is the third thing, so be practical.
To be obeyed is the fourth thing, therefore speak as the oracles of God.

Arabian Proverb
He that knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool--shun him.
He that knows not, and knows that he knows not, is simple--teach him.
He that knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep--wake him.
he that knows, and knows that he knows, is wise--follow him.

"An Illinois genius has been enriching himself lately by advertising an infallible cure for drunkenness for one dollar, and sending a reply, "Drink nothing but water."

I think I will keep this gem of a book handy. It might be old, but I think it has a timeless appeal.

1 comment: