Saturday, November 21, 2009

How do you spell ache?

I went to visit a family the other day. One of the three little girls at the house asked me a spelling question. I guess she wanted to see how smart her preacher was. She asked me to spell ache. I said a-c-h-e. She quickly replied, “Nope. You are wrong. You spell it a-k-e.”
I asked her, “Are you sure?” She responded with sound confidence, “Yes sir I am sure.” I saw this as a teaching opportunity, so I asked one of her sisters to go find a dictionary. While her sister went to get a dictionary, I asked the young speller “Why do you think you spell ache a-k-e?” She must have answered this question before, for she quickly replied, “You spell cake c-a-k-e. Take off the c and you have ¬ake.”
I didn’t really know how to reply to such reasoning, so I simply said, “You got a good point there.” By this time her sister finally arrived with a dictionary. She knew her sister was wrong, so she quickly looked up ache. She ran her finger down the page until she was the word correctly spelled for all the poor spellers in the world. Waving a finger of judgment at her younger sister, big sis yelled, “Look Preacher Hugh is right. Ache is spelled a-c-h-e. You are wrong!”
There was the proof. She was wrong. I thought I had her convinced. It didn’t faze her. With a huff and a puff and a stomp on the ground and a stern look at her sister and her preacher she exclaimed, “I don’t care what that dumb book says. Ache is spelled a-k-e.”
I began to worry that I had been too tough on the little kid. Did I take things too far? A Child psychologist might say I planted the root of a stigma against spelling. Who knows? I know that the book was right. I wanted this young girl to know the right way. I could have said she was right. Her logic made sense. But ache is spelled a-c-h-e not a-k-e.
I have been thinking about this little spelling test for the past few days. This might be a funny story, but there is a deep spiritual lesson for us to learn here. We might think the way we are living is the right way. We might even have a good logically way to justify what we do. But if the book says we are wrong, then we are wrong. Or we can do what a lot of people who are trying to do, prove that they are right and the book is wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Books are written by people. And people are human. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete